Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ghosts and Wraiths: An Observation in Soul Forge's First Draft

'
Now that Relic Tech has been published, I am back to working on Soul Forge, the 3rd novel in my First Civilization's Legacy Series.

To get back on track, I re-read the first 115,000 words of Soul Forge's first draft, doing a little editing while re-familiarizing myself with the story. I estimate having about 12,000 words left to complete the novel.

One of my favorite set of lines I came across in the novel's first draft was:


My knowledge of wraiths was minimal. I’d heard it said their touch could decay flesh so that it shriveled and fell away from the bone, all the while freezing their target’s soul. Whether that was true or not, I didn’t know. But I recalled Old Lowell once saying: “People tell ghost stories to scare each other. Ghosts tell wraith stories to scare other ghosts.”

It doesn't have a perfect parallel structure, but then again, Old Lowell wasn't that sort of fellow, so the paragraph might remain largely the same.
`

4 comments:

  1. I like it. Can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. I thought it was pretty neat too--and I think the full novel is as well ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Misha. As an English teacher, it sort of comes naturally :)

      Delete