Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Philosophy of Supporting Employees

I believe human interaction is important. I also believe that entry level jobs are important, whether they are held by teenagers part-time or adults working to support themselves and/or their family.

As such, I avoid self-checkout aisles, and at the gas station I don't pay with a credit card at the pump whenever possible. I pay (even via credit card) through an actual person--an employee. I don't direct deposit or use an ATM card--I go to a teller at the bank.

Employers watch and pay attention. If a worker doesn't serve customers, they are not longer needed. If the employer deems a position as "no longer needed," the job disappears. Individuals that hold that "no longer needed" position are out of job.

Sure, they could get additional training and get a better job--one that pays better and has benefits, etc., but they are either working entry level jobs (such as a cashier), or jobs that could be eliminated if faceless automation takes over (such as with a bank teller). Even more, I am polite and strive to greet the individual with a kind word or comment. Just because the job doesn't pay well doesn't mean it is fun and stress free.

Yep, call me old fashioned. It takes a little more time and effort, but I think it's the right thing to do.

4 comments:

  1. Terry,

    I totally agree. I've held many of these entry level jobs in my life. They are not fun and the people who hold these jobs deserve as much respect as any doctor or lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few of the entry level jobs too.

    http://www.ervin-author.com/workexperience.htm

    I agree, anyone who works deserves respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all honesty, I've never taken the time to think about this. When I go to the gas station to fill up, which I try to get hubby to do as much as possible because the fumes give me an instant headache, I go to the fastest route, usually using my atm at the machine.

    Banking is different. I always use a teller. I don't trust the machines, and for good reason. I've had them eat my card put money in the wrong account. I don't do much banking either, since this is another chore I try to pawn off.

    We've become a society that wants instant gratification: fast foot, faxes, e-mail, etc...

    I remember a very long time ago when the car makers wanted automation in the plants. A lot of people had panic attacks, but not many people lost their jobs over, certainly not my father who was a crane operator. He knew a computer couldn't operate an overhead crane.

    Right now the economy sucks! A lot of jobs have been lost, some will never come back, but I believe something is going to take their place, especially in the auto industrials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy Daley,

    With manufacturing automation comes some manual labor job losses. There are some high-paying technical jobs that appear as a result but not equal to the number the robots replace. Failure to automate, however, could put what American manufacturing jobs that do remain in further jeopardy.

    What I am focusing on, however, is the service industry jobs.

    ReplyDelete