Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two Disappointments--But that's Okay

`
I got word last week that my short story "Seconds of Eternity" accepted by Aberrant Dreams will not be published. The story was released as the managing editor is (and has been) struggling with health problems. The ezine and print anthology may return. I've enjoyed most of the stories Aberrant Dreams has published over the years, and hope some day to read more.

Also, today, I received a polite rejection from Dark Discoveries: "Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Submissions increased tremendously in 2009 with the announcement of our pro rates. Thank you for letting us see "The Candy Bar Game," but we are going to pass on it. It's very good, the characters are compelling and likable, the suspense is there, but it's really more of a straight mystery/suspense story than a horror story. Hope you find it a home, though!"

I'd submitted it as suspense/horror and thought the story contained horror elements, but not enough for Dark Discoveries.

I have the next market for "Seconds to Eternity" already selected. Just have to finish up the cover letter. Will have to check my notes for "The Candy Bar Game" and maybe adjust to more mystery/suspense oriented magazines.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. That's too bad. But it's good that your getting them back out there. I have been something of a slacker on submitting lately. I have a short story that I still haven't sold, and haven't submitted since it was rejected last. I need to get it back out there! Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, I know you like to keep stats. Have you done one for mags that have closed, gone under, out of business, or whatever, right after you submit, and get accepted? Thankfully, most of your stories do find their way into print, and so will both of these stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, give that story a look over, and then send it back out! It's unlikely to be accepted sitting on your hard drive. :)

    Sandy, this would be the 4th short story that I've had accepted by a market that then subsequently closed. Only one of the markets was one that hadn't been publishing for at least 7 years before folding, or going on hiatus. The other three found homes, so I have strong hopes for this one as well. Thanks for taking a moment to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The silver lining in this cloud is that a professional editor read and appreciated the quality of your story. Now, you just need to find the right venue. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Dean. Working on it. Decided to write a bit on my novel instead of getting it sent off tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete