Friday, April 28, 2017

An Interview with Author Kelsey C. Lewandowski


Welcome to Up Around the Corner, Kelsey. Could you tell us a little about yourself and what inspired you to become a writer?

Well, I am currently a high school student in the process of finishing up my junior year. I published my debut novel, Abyss, in March of my freshman year (2015) and published my second novel, Elders, this past November.

As a kid, I loved reading and was reading chapter books by first grade. I think it was around that time (so, very early on) that I found a passion for storytelling. I loved hearing about stories and reading them, and actually began to understand the immense amount of thought that went into them. When I was still in elementary school, I decided that someday I would write a book and have it published.

Please share with us, one book that you recently read that you think readers of this blog might enjoy.

I recently revisited Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I had read a few of his short stories before reading this book and decided to check it out. In this book, some of the fears of the Red Scare (which was occurring during the time Bradbury wrote the novel) are reflected in a ‘backwards’ futuristic society where firemen start fires and literature is not meant to be read. This idea of controlling thought and emotion to the point where freedom is just an illusion plays a huge role in this storyline. The thoughts of the characters who do decide to break the mold are truly engaging as well as thought-provoking.

Tell us a little about your most recent book, Elders.

Elders is a story about two characters living in a futuristic society in which youth can be bought. This defining factor shapes their society by creating extreme social and political divisions between those who can and cannot afford to buy their youth. My writing in this story follows the specific impact of this society’s structure on the characters Cassius and Evangeline. The two are on opposite sides of this society, but still cross paths. By switching viewpoints, I hope that the reader is able to understand their vast differences in background, but ultimately the similarities that tie them together.


Stepping away from writing and books for a moment, what is one of the most interesting and/or exciting places you’ve had the opportunity to visit?

I enjoy traveling very much and am very grateful to have had the opportunity to travel to many different places. By far, my favorite trip was to the Hawaiian island of Maui. The nature there is stunning and the roads that wind up the mountains show incredible views.

A View of the Honokalani Black Sand Beach

What events might you have coming up?

On April 29th, I will be attending a local book signing hosted by the Gathering Volumes bookstore (located by the shops at South Boundary in Perrsyburg) in support of Independent Bookstore Day. Many local authors will be attending this event in order to sign copies of their books, discuss their writing, and share their work with the community.  However, this event is not solely dedicated to authors, so anyone that would like to come show their support can also check out local musicians and artists, as well as various other activities planned throughout the day. (See www.gatheringvolumes.com for more information!)
[There is a scheduled rain date of April 30th.]

As we’re closing in on the end of the interview, Kelsey, is there anything else you’d like to add or share?

I would just like to thank you for taking the time to interview me and include me in your blog!

Thank you, Kelsey, for taking the time to answer the questions for the readers here!

=========================

Where Kelsey's books can be obtained:
Abyss on Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Elders on Amazon and Barnes & Noble

Where you can find out more about Kelsey and her writing:

`

No comments:

Post a Comment