Sunday, May 22, 2011

Book Binding: Comparing Yesterday and Today

`
I found these three videos that give a view on the printing and binding of a book, comparing the past to present.

The first is from the late 1940s, the other two are modern digital process version in the last couple of years The second shows offset digital printing/production of the cover and pages of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I know the last shows soft cover binding using a form of POD technology as opposed to offset printing, but I find the first labor intensive working toward the final, least labor intensive to be quite a contrast.

Old School Book Printing and Binding


Modern Digital Offset Print and Binding


Modern Print on Demand (Expresso's printing while you wait)


I don't know about you, but I found it interesting.
`

2 comments:

  1. Those look so interesting and when I have a few minutes, I'll sit down at watch them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one is definately the most interesting, Angie.

    ReplyDelete