Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Old West Shootouts

`
Granted, I've never been in an Old West Shootout, but I've always imagined them to be full of noise and smoke and chaos, resulting in some bullet-ridden bodies. And from what I've read, shotguns were of grave concern to the person facing the wrong end.

The best, or what might be the most accurate, I've come across on the screen has been the final gunfight in Open Range.

Below are video clips. What do you think?




Why have I been thinking about this? Well, one author friend wrote what I'd term a modern western with a bit of romance (Outlaws). Another author friend is soon to release his first western romance--with a touch of paranormal, set in the Old West titled Ghost of Lost Eagle.

The first is a really good read, and I anticipate the second will be as well.
`

6 comments:

  1. I love westerns. Shootouts must have been so scary and chaotic. I mean, to this day, no one really knows who started the one at OK Corral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too, Misha, especially John Wayne in Big Jake.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, thank you for the mention Terry. While Ghost of Lost Eagle does include its fair share of old west fights, guns and otherwise, my other western-romance, Maker of Angles, is rife with handgun conflicts. It will also be released this summer...as soon as the video trailer is done being produced.

    One interesting tidbit I discovered during research about gun fighting was that before they "draw" gunfighters often engaged in verbal intimidation trying to cause hesitation or lack of confidence in each other. This dialog plays a pivotal role in the final showdown.

    I have discovered that I love writing old west tales and plan to complete a whole series called the Sweetwater Canyon Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading your westerns, Dean, and thanks for the tidbit. Guess 'trash talk' has been around a while. I say this as I think sometimes my high school students believe they invented it. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey Terry,

    When I click through to your website, I receive an error that the page is blocked because it is trying to install something.

    Has your page been hacked, or is that just some applet trying to run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not believe my page was hacked. I reloaded the webpage. It seems from what I can tell from Google, is that one of the gif files that is animated has triggered concern. I am currently revamping the website, removing such things and checking all links that might go to an errant place. Thank's for posting the concern.

      Delete