Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sales Stats Update Through 1st Quarter of 2014

`

Occasionally I like to share some general statistics on sales trends with respect to my books. This time I am going to give basic information on sales percentages based upon the format, giving the overall percentage each format has sold:

Print: 21.4% of sales
Ebook: 73.5% of sales
Audiobook: 5.1% of sales

With those percentages keep in mind that the print and ebook formats of my books have been available far longer than audiobook formats. In fact, Genre Shotgun hasn't been released in audiobook yet (it's still in production).

If I go by 'total months available' (for all works), as each has been released simultaneously in ebook/print, each of those two formats have had 104 months of availability, whereas audiobooks have had only 27 months of availability.

That demonstrates that the impact or share of audiobook sales is under represented by the straight percentage breakdown of overall sales.

Even so, sales vary from title to title. Possibly next time, after Genre Shotgun has been available in audio for a short while, I'll post the updated sale trends by title as I did on February 3 of 2014.
`

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this...always interested in how others books are doing...and, I am considering audio...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, my publisher goes through ACX to find narrators. Unfortunately the contract structure has recently changed, making it more difficult to find an quality narrator to do royalty share, which is what many authors hope to do, rather than pay an upfront fee to the narrator.

      It's pretty neat and I'd recommend you give it a shot, if possible.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience for all of us who want to learn more about this current market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Anita Howitt. My experience is only a sliver of what's happening, but something to add to the overall picture or trend.

      Delete