Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Handwritten Drafts

'
Normally, when writing the first draft of a novel, I outline in a spiral notebook and keep notes on index cards as I write to remind me of things I need to take care of or pay special attention to later on in the novel's first or later drafts.

Sometimes, when a computer isn't handy, I'll write a scene or two by hand. Then, when I get the chance, I type (okay, word process) it into the most recent version/file.

Now, anyone who's seen my handwriting knows it's pretty difficult to read. Not impossible. My wife and my students (after a little practice reading my notes jotted down on their graded assignments) can manage it.

In any case, if you're interested, here's what a handwritten draft looks like.

Handwritten page from
Chapter 32 of Soul Forge

10 comments:

  1. That's what my entire novel looks like. Now I am typing it, and it is sometimes a challenge to make sure I get it all in the order I intended, since I'll jot notes like, "move this scene to page ..." still wouldn't do it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might sound like a complex system to me (difficult to find things) but if it works for you, cool.

      Delete
  2. Used to do that. Now I use document map in Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The document map might be more efficient some ways than an old school outline and index cards with notes and reminders. Never used it. I guess I use some of the handwritten method for when I'm not near a computer.

      Delete
  3. Wow, looks like some of my chicken scratch, lol. I can make pretty little letters at first, but when the muse kicks in watch out, sometimes I can't read my own writing then. I try to do as much of my writing (composing) on the computer for that reason. Still need pen and paper for doodling and working through a moment, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to be careful to make my words clear enough to be deciphered up to several days later. The same day or next, what was written is right up there, even if I can't read it very well. But otherwise...

      Delete
  4. Didn't they use the Rosetta Stone to decipher your handwritting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found if you tilt the paper at a 179 degree angle, cross your eyes and cover one of them you can make out about 10% of your writing :) Jeff

    ReplyDelete